David Baker is an Adelaide-based artist who works predominantly with paint and photography. His practice is experimental and highly innovative; manipulating both mediums in unique ways to create artwork that will engage an emotional response in the viewer. David’s painting and photography both have an essence of capturing something that can be shared:
“Using light and close framing, I like to expose the essence and energy of the subject– urban chaos, purposeful city; carefree beach; lazy sight-seers; mystical nature, furious water, delicate, fragile nature and leaving something intriguing to be worked out by the viewer.”
David uses a variety of materials to create his artworks, everything from house-paint rollers and brushes, to bricking and tiling trowels. He is influenced by a strong urban and industrial aesthetic and creates his work while listening to music, adapting the colour and shape on the canvas to the sound. In his dynamic and experimental practice he reveals a tension between the representation of organic and non-living forms.
“For me, the work must have energy and contradiction – there is the norm, the average, the setting and there is a schism, a thrust, a danger, a radical which gives life and energy to the painting. I paint inanimate objects like rocks and machines as if they were living, had skin and connect with people.”
For David the process of painting can be confronting and he tries to extend this experience to the viewer through his artwork; allowing them to experience emotions in the work and engage with the energy of it. He believes the act of viewing his art should be an exchange between artwork and viewer that ultimately completes the piece.
Arts Industry Council of South Australia.
Off The Couch Art Studio Inc.
Port Community Arts Centre.
Royal South Australian Society of Arts.
North East Vocational College
- Finalist- Gallery 1855 Fringe Exhibition (6 photographs) and installation photographs. 8/2/15 -
- Finalist (3 paintings)- Victor Harbor Rotary. 16/1/15 - 24/1/15.
- Finalist (5 paintings)- Port Adelaide Rotary 29/12/15 - 4/1/15.
- Finalist. Royal SA Society of Arts Summer Ex- "Little Gems" (A3 max) 12 Dec 14- 11 Jan 15.
- Finalist. Tea Tree Gully Lions Club Art Show 18-26 Oct 2014.
- Royal SA Society of Arts "New Kids On The Block" 19 Oct - 9 Nov 2014.
- Finalist. Royal SA Society of Arts Spring Exhibition "Over 2 U" - 21 Sept - 12 Oct 2014.
- Adelaide Royal Show Art Purchase - 5-14 Sept 2014.
- 42nd Street Cafe, Shop 161, Tea Tree Plaza - On-going exhibition (updated monthly).
- 42nd Street Cafe, Shop 161, Tea Tree Plaza - South Australian Living Artists (SALA) exhibition every day in August 2014.
- 42nd Street Cafe, Shop 161, Tea Tree Plaza - May-July 2014.
- Memories Digital Centre, St Agnes Shopping Centre - South Australian Living Artists (SALA) through August 2014.
- Pepper Street- "Collective Inspirations" with Off The Couch Art Studio - 4 - 25 July 2014.
- Juxtapose Studios "Alchemy" - 16 April to 18 May
- The Port Community Art "Let's Not Forget" - 10 May to 18 May (Sold).
- Campbelltown Art Show (2014), 3 May to 11 May.
- Finalist - Watershed Art Prize (2014), 2 May to 30 May 2014, City of Salisbury.
- Finalist - 5th Solar At Prize (2014), 23 March to 20 April 2014, 'Caring for our planet'. Royal SA Society of Arts.
- 1st Anniversary Exhibition at Gallery 1855, Dec/Jan 2013/4 Tea Tree Gully.
- Victor Harbor Rotary Exhibition, Jan 2014, Victor Harbor.
- Port Adelaide Rotary Exhibition, Jan 2014, Port Adelaide.
- Jazz Event (Jacki Cooper, George Golla, Kym Purling), Nov 2013 (sold).
- Hive 12 to 24 Modbury: Solo Photographic: 70 Graffiti Images - gifted.
- St Peters Cathedral Exhibition, Oct 2013, Adelaide (sold).
- Different Strokes V Exhibition, Feb/March 2013, “Top-Of-The-Torrens Gallery”, Birdwood.
- GOYA Exhibition with Off The Couch Studios at Gallery 1855, Jan/Feb 2013, Tea Tree Gully.
- Victor Harbor Rotary Exhibition, Jan 2013 (sold).
- Port Adelaide Rotary Exhibition, Jan 2013.
- Inaugural Exhibition at Gallery 1855, Dec/Jan 2012/3 Tea Tree Gully.
- Different Strokes IV Exhibition, Feb/March 2012, “Top-Of-The-Torrens Gallery”, Birdwood (sold).